Would you love to get more channels on your DStv at no extra cost? I bet you do. But a lot of people do not know how to go about it. In this article, you will learn how to unlock free-to-air (FTA) channels on your DStv HD decoder in a few simple steps.
Before we get started, here are the items you need to get free channels on your DStv:
- A DStv HD decoder with MPEG-4 capabilities, installed on is20 satellite. You will need a decoder with MPEG-4 capabilities for free to air channels. If you are not using an MPEG-4 capable decoder, you won’t receive audio on most channels. This is why many people complain of sound after setting up free-to-air channels.
- A remote control compatible with DStv HD decoders. That could be an A7, a B5, B7, an all-in-one DStv remote or any other compatible remote control.
Having trouble with set up? Drop a comment below or start a discussion on the Dish Portal Discussion Forum.
Now let’s get started installing those channels.
How to Install Free-To-Air Channels on DStv HD Decoder
The following settings will take you through step by step on how to get free channels on HD.
Go to Menu by pressing the Blue “DStv” button.
Then select Settings and go to Satellite Settings.
Select Additional Networks.
On Additional Networks, you will find Networks numbered from 1 to 5. Do not change any frequencies on Network #1. Simply put “YES” where there is “NO.” You will start changing the settings from Network 2 all the way to Network 5.
- Go to Network 2 and apply the following changes:
|FREQUENCY||11514 or 11170|
|POLARISATION||Vertical OR Horizontal|
Then apply Scan this (Scan all✖).
- Apply the following settings to NETWORK 3:
Apply Scan this✔ (Scan all✖)
- Make the following changes to NETWORK 4 for Eagle TV and more.
Apply Scan this✔ (Scan all✖).
- Apply these to NETWORK 5:
Once you are done, press “Options” on your remote. Locate Channel Group and change it from “My DStv Channels” to “All Channels.” Save your changes, then press 100 and scroll left, you will see all the channels that are coming before channel 100.
The channel numbers for the added channels will carry four digits.
Are you having trouble setting up Free channels?
Sometimes you may find that the decoder won’t scan automatically. If this happens and it’s showing you that your parameters are incorrect, it means one of two things: either (1) your signal strength is low or (2) your LNB is not properly positioned.
If that’s the case, you’ll need to find a certified dish installer at your location to assist you.
Are you not getting sound on free channels? After setting up free channels on DStv, you may find that some channels are muted. Most of these channels will appear 2 to 3 times on the channels list. One will have audio and the other will be muted. Find the one that comes with audio and select it.
The other obvious reason you may not get audio is using the MPEG-2 decoder. Most channels won’t give you sound on such a decoder and the setting may not even work. Upgrade to a modern MPEG-4 DStv HD decoder for best results.
If you are having problems with the free channels set up, drop a comment below or start a discussion on the Dish Portal Discussion Forum. Have fun!