In this stressful world of ours, nothing beats a TV screen when you need high-quality entertainment. But how do you get that when the primary screen is most likely going to be taken by someone else? That’s where DStv XtraView comes in.
As it is for most homes, the kids need a TV in their room, the guest room needs one, and you need one in your bedroom as well. If you split the primary output, all the rooms will be watching the same thing and that’s not what you need.
An independent screen in each room where the resident can switch channels without having to interfere with what the other person is watching elsewhere in your home or office is what you need. DStv XtraView is the solution.
But how does it work and how much will it cost you to get it? That’s what we’re here for.
What is DStv XtraView?
DStv Xtraview is a Multichoice technology that allows DStv customers to use more than one decoder on a single DStv subscription.
Say you purchase a month’s plan on DStv Compact and you want to use DStv in your living room and bedroom. Ordinarily, you’d have to pay for a second DStv Compact subscription for the second room, right?
But you don’t have to buy two Compact subscriptions. You only need to use XtraView. XtraView gives you the freedom of using that single Compact sub on two or more decoders (the one in the living room and the one in the bedroom).
How to get DStv XtraView?
Say, you have a decoder in your living room and you want to get DStv in your bedroom; you’ll need another DStv decoder for the bedroom. That means you’ll have two DStv decoders: one for the living room and the second for the bedroom. They don’t have to be the same model, though.
One will be the primary decoder and the other will serve as the secondary decoder (it all depends on how it’s connected).
Once you have all these in place, you’ll need to get an installer to take care of the connections. Let’s look at a complete list of items you’ll need for a DStv XtraView setup.
Items you’ll need to set up XtraView
Here is a breakdown of the items you’ll need for your XtraView setup
- 80cm satellite dish (you can use the old one)
- A dual LNB or signal splitter: Your DStv comes with a universal LNB. But you’ll need a dual LNB for XtraView. If you can’t afford a dual LNB, buy a signal splitter.
- Smart LNB (for DStv Explora users only). Other single view decoders will work with a dual LNB or a signal splitter.
- Depending on the connection, you may also need a diplexer.
Recommended: How to Connect Openview using a DStv dish.
How much does it cost?
The amount of money you spend on setting up XtraView will depend on the type of decoders you are using for the setup. This is because the hardware used for single view decoders will be different from those used for DStv Explora decoders.
For example, if you are setting up three decoders instead of two, you will need an extra cable to connect the third decoder. This is an additional cost compared to someone who is connecting two decoders.
Also, for DStv Explora decoders, you’ll need to buy a smart LNB. But if you are setting up single-view decoders, you can use a dual LNB or signal splitter.
Here are the XtraView items and their costs:
|DStv XtraView fee||R110|
|80cm satellite dish*||R978|
|UniCable||R3 per meter|
|Installation fee||Negotiate with the installer|
*The dish is optional. You can always use your old 80 cm dish, no problem. It’s not a must that you buy a new one.
XtraView and HDPVR
If you’re using a DStv Explora or any decoder with HDPVR features, there are a few things you will want to know concerning how XtraView will work.
You’ll want to know the price difference, channels, and everything in between. Let’s disentangle and straighten out everything that has to do with using XtraView with a DStv PVR decoder.
With XtraView, you need to make payment for each additional decoder you connect. Each additional decoder is R110 on XtraView. If you have PVR access (which is also R110 on its own), and you connect one decoder via XtraView, you will only need to pay R110 for both services.
But if you add a third decoder to the setup, you’ll then have to add (an additional) R110.
How do I pay for XtraView?
Normally, your XtraView is calculated alongside other DStv account fees so you pay for them at the same time.
The best way to pay for XtraView is to do it at a DStv store or have an accredited DStv agent make the payment for you as part of the XtraView setup process. Alternatively, you can contact DStv on any of their live support channels for help.
Your XtraView payment will expire one month from the date of payment.
What happens if I change my package?
If you change your package in the middle of a DStv Xtra View subscription, your plan will be updated to include the new package and you’ll be allowed to continue with your XtraView subscription.
Cost of using XtraView with your DStv subscription
|DStv Premium plus XtraView||R949|
|DStv Compact+ with XtraView||R659|
|DStv Compact with XtraView||R539|
|DStv Family plus XtraView||R419|
|DStv Access plus XtraView||R230|
|DStv EasyView plus XtraView||R139|
Allowed decoder combinations for XtraView
According to Multichoice, here are the allowed decoder combinations for DStv XtraView:
- 11 series + 11 series: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 11 series + Single View DStv HD Decoder: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 11 series + 4 tuner HD PVR: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 11 series + HD PVR 2P/2U: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 11 series + DStv Explora: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- Single View DStv HD Decoder + DStv HD Decoder: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- Single View DStv HD Decoder + 4 tuner HD PVR: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- Single View DStv HD Decoder + HD PVR 2P/2U: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- Single View DStv HD Decoder + DStv Explora: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 4 tuner HD PVR + SD PVR*: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 4 tuner HD PVR + 4 tuner HD PVR: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 4 tuner HD PVR + HD PVR 2P/2U: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- 4 tuner HD PVR + DStv Explora: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- HD PVR 2P/2U + SD PVR*: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- HD PVR 2P/2U + HD PVR 2P/2U: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- HD PVR 2P/2U + DStv Explora: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- DStv Explora + DStv Explora: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- DStv Explora + SD PVR*: DStv Subscription + Access Fee
- DStv Explora + DStv Explora + DStv Explora**: DStv Subscription + Access Fee + Access Fee
- DStv Explora + DStv Explora + Single View DStv HD Decoder**: DStv Subscription + Access Fee + Access Fee
- DStv Explora + DStv HD Decoder + Single View DStv HD Decoder**: DStv Subscription + Access Fee + Access Fee
* SD PVR can only be the secondary decoder.
** Primary decoder must be a DStv Explora.
Decoder combination data source: DStv.co.za